Skip Navigation LinksCorrecting-or-Amending-Vital-Records

vital records

Correcting or Amending Vital Records 

If you would like information on such subjects as how to correct a vital record or amend a birth certificate to reflect a legal name change, please select from the items below.   Information about Amendments, Delayed Registrations, Name Changes, and a variety of other subjects is available in Adobe Acrobat (PDF) format. To read these files, Adobe Acrobat Reader is needed. To download free Adobe Acrobat Reader, please click here: Adobe Acrobat Reader.

There are three ways to obtain vital record amendment forms:
  • Download fillable forms in PDF format. Visit our Forms page to download the desired form.
  • Order paper forms and instructions to be mailed to you. Visit our CDPH-VR Forms page to order. Please allow up to two weeks for delivery by mail.
  • You may also get these forms from the County Recorder's Office.

To speak with an attendant about amendment issues, please call (916) 445-2684, or call (916) 552-0514 to speak with a Spanish-speaking attendant.

Type of Request

Affidavit to Amend a Birth Record (PDF)
Affidavit to Amend a Death Record (PDF)
Affidavit to Amend a Marriage Record (PDF)
Correcting Gender Errors on Birth Certificates (PDF)
Court Order Delayed Certificate of Marriage (PDF)
Court Order Delayed Registration of Birth (PDF)
Court Order Delayed Registration of Death (PDF)
Court Order Delayed Registration of Fetal Death (PDF)
Court Order Name Change (PDF)
Delayed Registration of Birth (PDF)
Name Equality Act of 2007 (PDF)
Obtaining a New Birth Certificate After Gender Reassignment (PDF)
Out-of-Hospital Birth (PDF)
Supplemental Name Report - Birth (PDF) ​

Page Last Updated :