Frequently Asked Questions
1. What is the conditional admission schedule?
- For pre-kindergarten (child care), see Table C of 17 CCR section 6035.
- For K-12, see Table D of 17 CCR section 6035.
2. What is conditional admission?
In limited circumstances, some children who have not received one or more required immunizations (shots) may attend child care or school while they catch up on these immunizations.
3. What are examples of children who may attend pre-kindergarten (child care) or school under conditional admission?
- Children younger than 18 months who have met all the requirements for admission are required to receive additional vaccine doses as they become older (California Code of Regulations [CCR], Title 17, section 6025, Table A). These children may be conditionally admitted but must complete the remaining doses when they become due. The child care facility must notify the parent or guardian of the date by which the child must complete the remaining doses.
- Children admitted with a temporary medical exemption from one or more immunization(s) as documented prior to admission by physicians (MD or DO) licensed in California. To attend child care or school, these children must receive all vaccines required for their age or grade except those listed in the exemption. For temporary exemptions, the CAIR-ME medical exemption form will include the date the exemption expires. Once the exemption expires, the child may continue to attend only after the school or child care receives 1) documentation confirming that the child received the temporarily exempted vaccines OR 2) a new medical exemption issued using CAIR-ME.
- Children who have received some but not all required immunization doses and are NOT CURRENTLY DUE for any doses at the time of admission. These students should NOT be admitted until they receive all doses that are currently due because the period of time allowed before exclusion has passed (see "exclude if not given by" column in Tables C or D, 17 CCR section 6035). If additional required doses are due later, the children may be admitted conditionally. The pre-kindergarten (child care) facility or school must notify the parent or guardian of the date by which the child must complete all the required immunizations in accordance with Table C or D, 17 CCR section 6035.
4. What if conditionally admitted children are exposed to diseases they have not been fully immunized against?
Any child who is not completely immunized against a particular communicable disease may be subject to exclusion if exposed to the disease or during an outbreak of the disease (17 CCR section 6060).
5. How often do I review the immunization records of students who are conditionally admitted?
A school must review the immunization records of students admitted conditionally at least every 30 days until the student has received the remaining required vaccine doses. 17 CCR, section 6035(b) states that "The governing authority shall review records of any pupil admitted conditionally to a school at least every 30 days from the date of admission, inform the parent or guardian of the remaining required vaccine doses until all required immunizations are received or an exemption is filed, and update the immunization information in the pupil's record."