Basics of Infection Prevention 2-Day Course
2017 Basics of Infection Prevention 2-Day Course Flyer and Registration Information
All course materials, including references and resource tools, are easily accessible via this webpage.
Please click on the course topics on the agenda below (last updated May 2015)
This course was designed to prepare novice hospital-based infection preventionists (IP) for the initial phase of their work and educate other healthcare staff on the basics of healthcare-associated infection (HAI) prevention. The course is not intended to be a substitute for a full four- or five-day fundamentals course recommended for all hospital IPs , but rather to serve as a bridge until such a course can be attended.
- New IPs who have not yet attended a beginners or foundations course
- Hospital-based quality improvement staff, administrators, or managers interested in learning more about infection prevention strategies
- Clinical or public health staff with an interest in infection prevention or becoming part of an IP team
- IPs returning to work after being out of the profession for an extended period
- Identify core, evidence-based care practices known to contribute to preventing the five most common HAI.
- Central line associated bloodstream infection (CLABSI)
- Catheter-associated urinary tract infection (UTI)
- C. difficile infection (CDI)
- Surgical site infection (SSI)
- Ventilator-associated pneumonia (VAP)
- Define the role of the IP and important infection prevention resources.
- Describe basic principles of HAI surveillance and use of the National Healthcare Safety Network (NHSN) system and protocols.
- Describe a successful hand hygiene program.
- Describe transmission-based precautions and how to apply them.
- Describe the IP’s role in environmental cleaning/disinfection, instrument/equipment re-processing, and other components of the care environment.
- Review principles of employee infection prevention.
- Review infection prevention laws and regulations.
|Basics of Infection Prevention Course agenda|
|8:30||Welcome and Introductions|
|8:45||The Role of the IP|
|2:30||Preventing Employee Infections|
|3:45||Infection Prevention Resources|
First Day: 6 CEUs
|8:00||Epidemiology and Surveillance|
|8:45||Introduction to NHSN|
|10:00||Standard and Transmission-based Precautions|
Outbreaks and Infection Emergencies
|11:00||Sustaining HAI Prevention|
|12:30||Safe Injections Practices|
|1:00||Cleaning, Disinfection, and Sterilization|
|1:30||Environment of Care|
|2:15||The IP as Educator|
|2:45||State and Federal Regulatory Requirements|
Second Day: 6 CEUs
HAI Program at HAIProgram@cdph.ca.gov