Emergency Department Antibiotic Stewardship Collaborative
Region(s) served: Statewide
Project dates: March 2018 – November 2019
The HAI Program collaborated with an academic partner at University of California, Davis to convene a statewide emergency department (ED) antibiotic stewardship collaborative. Participating ED used the MITIGATE toolkit to guide project planning. Each participating ED developed an antibiotic stewardship quality improvement project. Our academic partner provided one-on-one consultative support to each ED to plan and launch their respective projects. The HAI Program provided optional ED provider surveys to measure prescribing knowledge and behaviors at each site. Participating EDs reported on progress and challenges at biannual in-person meetings.
Goals and Objectives
Reduce inappropriate antibiotic prescribing in ED settings through the following objectives:
- Raise awareness of inappropriate antibiotic prescribing and opportunities for antibiotic stewardship in ED settings
- Engage and empower ED staff to view antibiotic prescribing as a quality and patient safety issue
- Share ED-specific antibiotic prescribing and stewardship tools and best practices
- Provide a forum to exchange practical strategies for overcoming barriers to stewardship interventions in ED settings
Participating Facilities and Organizations
- 15 emergency departments
- Los Angeles County Department of Public Health
For more information on the ED Antibiotic Resistance Prevention Collaborative, contact HAIProgram@cdph.ca.gov.