Skip Navigation LinksWhat-is-a-Specialist

office of refugee health


A Specialist is a doctor with more expert knowledge about specific health issues or areas of the body.

     • When you need an operation, you will visit a Surgeon.

     • If you are a woman or are having a baby, you will visit an Obstetrician/Gynecologist.

     • If you have children, they will visit a Pediatrician.

     • When you need to examine your heart, you will visit a Cardiologist.


Your Primary Care Provider will give you a referral if you need to visit a specialist.

     • A Referral means you have permission to visit another doctor.

     • A Referral is usually a document or letter that you must bring to the Specialist.


You do not need a referral from your Primary Care Provider to visit these Specialists:

  • Dentist

  • Eye Doctor (Ophthalmologist or Optometrist)

Page Last Updated :